Mold FAQs:

Q: I might have mold in my home, should I be concerned?

A: Keep in mind that we all deal with mold spores daily in both our indoor and outdoor environments.  It is never really a question of whether you have mold in your home, but more a question of “is the mold in my home out of control?”.

Mold spores are microscopic and cannot be seen without significant magnification.  There is a difference between the common mold spore counts we encounter daily and what is considered elevated spore counts, or a mold problem.  Elevated spore counts will come from excess indoor moisture events or continued high humidity situations.

Q: Why don’t you guys test for mold?

A: As a property owner, it may sound more straightforward to have one company do both air testing and remediation, but keep in mind that both testing, and remediation revolve around something that you can’t see.  Since your remediation estimate will be derived from the results of the air sampling, we feel this leaves room for an enormous conflict of interest.  This conflict of interest will rise again if you plan to have a post-remediation verification or a clearance test done.

Our supervisors have the training and experience with both testing and remediation.  As a company, we recommend an Indoor Environmental Professional (IEP) to complete the air testing and design a remediation plan and then confirm that we have done our job properly.  Using an independent third-party evaluator gives us credibility and gives our clients confidence that the job is done right.

Q: Does professional mold remediation remove every mold spore in my home?

A: It is not reasonably possible to rid a structure of all mold spores since they are part of our everyday air.  Mold remediation is about reducing elevated mold spore levels to what is considered reasonable or acceptable levels, or standards that would be considered normal.

Q: I have had mold remediation done in my home.  Do I have to worry that it would ever come back?

A: At some point, excess moisture triggered the growth and amplification of normal mold levels within your structure.  Mold remediation brings elevated spore counts to what is considered a reasonable level.  If the excessive moisture situation returns, the same cycle of growth and amplification will begin with different spores.

Q: How do I know if I have black mold?

A: Mold identification should never be determined by just color.  Actual mold species and their toxicity can only be determined through microscopic analysis by a qualified mycologist or an Indoor Environmental Professional.

The term “black mold” is usually used to describe a particular type of mold called Stachybotrys, which is known as toxic mold.  However, not every mold that is black is Stachybotrys and to add to the complexity, not all toxic molds are black in color.

Q: What kind of experience does your company have with mold?

A: We started our initial training with mold remediation in the late ‘90s and have successfully completed hundreds of projects, both commercially and residentially since then.  We will work with your Indoor Environmental Professional until final clearance has been achieved.

You can be confident that Chavez Inc. has the training, the experience, and the specialized equipment to return your home or business back into a safe and healthy environment.

Q: What are some health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposure?

A: Some general effects and symptoms associated with mold exposure may include respiratory issues such as shortness of breath and asthma, allergic reactions, headaches, fatigue, memory loss, nose bleeds, nausea, bleeding lungs, etc.  If you think you may have a mold problem and are also having issues with your health, you should speak with your healthcare professional to discuss your specific concerns.

Q: Who is at the highest risk for suffering effects from mold exposure?

A: Many times, the answer to whether something is detrimental to us or not depends on our health status.  Some individuals with respiratory issues or compromised immune systems, pregnant women, small children, and the elderly would have a lower tolerance for mold contamination.   You should consult with your healthcare provider for an opinion on the potential health effects mold spores may have on you.

Q: Are there any tell-tale signs that I can look for if I feel that I may have a mold problem?

A: Many times, mold problems can be identified by tell-tale signs of odor or visual (red, green, black, etc.) signs of growth.  Hidden issues inside ceilings and wall cavities will not be as apparent.  Many times, mold problems can only be detected by professional air sampling in finding airborne contaminants.

Q: What is the key to controlling mold growth?

A: The key to avoiding a mold problem begins with controlling excess moisture.  Respond to water intrusions immediately, repairing the source of excess moisture and completely drying out all affected areas.  The standard target for ideal indoor humidity is 30% to 55% RH.

Q: My contractor is ready to start my mold remediation project, but I am unsure of his training.  Should I be concerned?

A: Yes, it is in your best interest not to allow those unfamiliar with mold remediation to disturb contaminated areas.  If the proper measures are not taken before they disturb the affected area, you will have mold spores lifted and carried throughout your entire home or business.  They should never spray bleach or other chemicals on colonized mold contamination, as spores could be released and become airborne.  Additionally, using biocides to kill mold does not reduce the airborne or “breathable” mold spores in contaminated air.  We utilize the industry standard protocols to keep areas with elevated mold spore counts contained and use specialized equipment to remove or reduce the number of airborne mold spores, ensuring that we do not cause contamination to travel into new areas.

Got a question not answered here? Ask us here…